Friday 21 October 2011

FMQ Friday

 I got a head start this week on the fmq practice, on Monday I have a bonus time that allowed me to play a little with the 'Slate Tiles' pattern ...


I found this to be quite an easy pattern to do, but identified a few things that made it easier for me to be fluid in my quilting, but to have sharp corners to my slates ...


this is the back ... oh what did I learn?

I have far great control by slowing the speed down, pedal to the metal means you have less control, slowing gives me more time to think about what I'm doing and going to do next...

and in order to create corners to my slates, I found I needed to stop, just for a moment, like taking a breath, with the needle going up and down in the same place just 2 or 3 times, and then move on in the new direction ...

And then I got to thinking about the choices I make when it comes to thread, my choice of thread has been Aurifil 50 wt mako cotton both top and in the bobbin...

but what if I change threads? 


So I tried it to see what effect it would have on the quilting ...


on this piece I retained the 50 wt in the bobbin, but used 3 different threads to see what the effects would be ,  L to R above we have Valdani 35 wt cotton, Aurifil Invisible thread, and finally an Aurifil 40 wt mako cotton ...


the invisible thread gives great texture, and my stitches were much smaller, yes, it was harder to see them to try and keep the stitches even ...


the 40 wt makes the stitches more visible or should that be more noticeable ...


and the 35 wt (the heaviest/thickest) made the stitches very obvious... and less easy to control and keep the quality even ...

I also had to reduce the tension on the top to let this thread through without pulling the bobbing thread through from the bottom ... but I did have a few loopyish stitches too ...


so I conclude, I'm sticking to what I like, the 50 wt, I like the delicate look that it produces, fine stitches that allows me to play with some tiny quilting

did I tell you I'm using a size 70 Microtex needle?  (tiny I know, but worth it)


and I had a play with my BQS Pillow Fight swap pillow whilst I waited for my central heating to be fixed!

So how did you do this week on the fmq challenge from Cindy?  Head over to her blog Fluffy Sheep Quilting to see how everyone else has done, there's a Linky

Have a great weekend, happy playing!

12 comments:

Manda said...

Great tiles! How interesting to see how the different threads work! I found the slowing down helped with the corners too.
And I can't wait to see your finished BQS pillow, I think it's going to be gorgeous!!

Pat Merkle said...

I love all of your experiments! Thanks for sharing. Your tiles look great and I love the flower and swirls!

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Great post! I like how yu put your thoughts thought the process. That allowed me to work through it with you.

glen

Nicky said...

This the masterclass then Trudi? Thanks for the tips - I will give your ideas a try on the corners!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Great tips, thank you x

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

Great post - so many tips to remember!

mammafairy said...

I am using a Gutermann thread, which doesn't tell me the weight. Before this, I used a 'moon' thread, cheap and cheerful, but no stated weight. I need to look into this thread weight business a bit more. What threads are others using, I wonder

Erin @ Billy Button Design said...

Wow...you don't need any practise....

Annabella said...

Oh I wasn`t feeling too bad about my `effort` and then I saw your slates, which are incredible! Thanks for sharing your tips.

Alica said...

great job on your tiles, love the threads you used!

Cindy said...

I really like that you took the time to try a few things. We're all learning from you! I found the same pause at each corner to be helpful. Your tiles look great!

Pippa Parsons said...

it doesn't look like you need any help, your tiles look great...I had some aurifil 50 shipped over from the uk, ( why is it so difficult to buy aurifil in France) and my Janome 10001 hated it, will try it for FM now that i've seen your results but on my Brother 1500... see if it likes it better, I do love Aurifils colours