Tuesday 6 September 2011

Project 51

I know many of you have been curious about Project 51, having seen little snippets of it in blogland and on Flickr.  Well I can now tell you more about it. 

Earlier this year sometime during or just after the Brit Quilt Swap a little Brit Bee formed.   Like many virtual quilting bees, a band of 12 happy eager ladies starting on a new venture and new friendships.   And being such a happy bunch we joked about Calendar Girls each month as we bantered back and forth.  Then one of our friends, for we quickly became friends, was in a dark place, things in life just seem so unjust at times.  And this was one of those moments.  So as quilters we did what we know we can do best.  We secretly agreed on a plan, busied and made blocks, and sent them to Laura who pieced them lovingly into a stunning top.  Just before Festival, I did a mad dash and met up with Laulipops and collected the top and all the messages. 

So i got 'busy' with my task to piece the back with the messages and to quilt and finish our special gift. 


The Calender Girls dancing on the front ...


...  the back


The package was ready to be sent August Bank Holiday weekend ...


I'm pleased to say the quilt has been received by our friend and brightens her world daily.   I cannot express the utter JOY I felt whilst working on this special gift for a brave lady who continues to inspire me with her courage and cheery perseverance. 

Calendar Girls, wow, you did good! 


21 comments:

Inspiredbyfelix said...

I think you underplay your role, Miss Trudi, you rock! x

4dreamsr said...

Trudi I hadn't heard of this, but this is the cutiest idea. I know this is gonna bring lots of smiles & hugs to your friend.

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Trudi, you turned our gift into a stunning quilt - have I said 'thank you'? xxx

Canadian Abroad said...

You've said it all for us but failed to say just how much work went into turning our blocks into that fantastic quilt. You and Laura Jane went well out of your way to make this happen. Thank you so much!

Fiona @ Poppy Makes said...

You have definitely underplayed your role, our little quilty Angel :) Us Calendar Girls did good but you and Laura did a wonderful job - Thankyou x

Leanne said...

It is a wonderful quilt and the whole group was amazing in this project!

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

How marvelous that you pulled this off for your friend. Who coul not feel loved"

glen

Judith, Belfast said...

Thank you Miss May, Queen of the Quilting! I love being part of this awesome group. Jxo

QuiltSue said...

This looks wonderful. I bet your friend loved it.

Manda said...

It is a beautiful quilt!

Sheila said...

This was a truly wonderful project - good for you all.

Sarah said...

awww it was the fairy at the bottom of the garden that did all the hardest work :-) I'm just happy to have been a wee part of the biggest quilty cuddle in blogland!

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

Well done, all of you - a wonderful quilt made by wonderful people!

Quilthaze said...

That's a beautiful quilt and a very touching story. Well done to all the Calendar Girls!

Mish Mash Mama said...

The comfort and joy this has brought is beyond words. Those messages I know by heart, and without any of you this little smurfette would not have the tangible, tactile act of so many caring and talanted friends. Bless you all. xx

Doris said...

What a wonderful thing to do... the final product is lovely and I'm sure, treasured!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Absolutely darling!

Martha said...

Trudi, the quilting turned out just gorgeous! And for such a cool lady! May all, the givers and the receiver, be truly blessed.

Sparky said...

What a wonderful project and who would not be over the top excited at such a lovely gift...never in my life would I part with it...kudos to you all

Sparky said...

Ahhh now that I know the story..it has even more heart felt emotions..there is nothing like stitching for a friend.there is nothing that spells love to me anymore more than that...
YOU all deserve a big hug..

Poppyprint said...

That is a beautiful story. I love my quilty friend and wouldn't trade them for the world. I know if anything happened to me or my family they would be there for me in a heartbeat.